Monday, September 27, 2010

Memoirs of Madras :) :) :)

Some find Bombay to be the city of their dreams, some find Bangalore, some Delhi, but for me its one and only Madras. This was not just a place but a part of my life. A place that redefined my life and got so many that was latent in me until then. I live with a group of people who just hate Chennai for its attributes like climate, govt set up, however nothing can shake the strong emotional bond I share with Chennai. Chennai, for instance, was rechristened from its original name of Madras due to some issues of unexplainable logic. I prefer to call it Madras over Chennai.

Lemme try and capture the reasons that make madras, second closest city to my heart. To get started, its not my native place. My native is Trichy. However,from early childhood, Madras has been an integral part of my life due to my relatives who are mostly based out of that place. During summer hols, every year, while was a kid, I use to visit that place and started falling in love with that place. However, those were very kiddish fantasies like playing, visit the beach, go to Zoo, go to the planetarium for a show and the like. However, during my later years of formation, I realized that this place has a lot to offer beyond the kiddish fantasies of life.

I must use the phrase, I was 'growing up' in life when my strong encounter with this place started on a more serious note. It was the summer of 2004 when I completed schooling and was getting geared to enter into the next phase of life, Loyola College, Chennai. We as a family studied in Loyola like my dad, uncles, cousins etc. So, I was naturally inclined to go to Loyola and pursue my dream subject Economics, despite the fact that I was a science student at School with 94 % in the final exams. For strange reasons, dad was not so keen about my relocation to Chennai and was insistent to continue studies at St Joseph's College, Trichy. However, after a long and thorough debate and after winning the backing of sister and other relatives, I was succesfull in persuading dad to allow me to go to Madras.

I am a dreamer and I was a dreamer then. I use to dream about life in Loyola before joining college. Finally, I joined Loyola. :) However, i was not given Economics due to Madras Uni regulations. However, i was given my second preference and luv, Sociology. From that moment my life was transformed to greater heights. Madras, helped me to realize that I had something in me and several times, reassured my faith in me. College was a great place to be in. Hostel was yet another marvel that helped my growth in several ways.

The most important twist or rather fortune took place in the second year of my life in college. This will involve a bit of metaphysics. Those were the most happiest and glorious days of my life. There is an unique reason that strengthened my bond with madras, however, the reason discontinued itself from my life. However, its worth mentioning the importance of that particular factor and the impact of that factor in my life for the years to come.

Now coming to the 3 day hol in Chennai. Beautiful 3 days of time in Chennai. My clock has never ticked so fast like how it did in Chennai. Wish I feel the same in College so that the boring lectures run away fast :P . I took the bus to Chennai on Thursday night 10.30 PM and reached Chennai at 6 o clock in the morning. Reached Aunt's place and then as usual relaxed( slept like a pig :D). Then i was greeted with the most aromatic Madras Filter coffee, which I rate as number one. Followed by a grand king size breakfast of Pongal and vadai - Typical Madras style. :)

Did all the catching ups with all the family members and started planning the day. All the agenda items included meeting a fren or the other. In the meantime sister had come to meet me and we discussed all the plans regarding the new flat "BETHEL". The next day dad came down to madras from Trichy. This day was spent primarily visiting the site of BETHEL and doing the legal documentation regarding the new flat. Had high quality discussion with dad and sister on a range of issues. Then came the final day viz sunday. we three went out to meet a relative and took her out for lunch. This was one of the best places that offer Aappam in Chennai. Its named 'Nalas Aappa kadai". Belted food there and then got back home around 4 ish in the evening.

In the evening I was shocked to see my return ticket to be not usable as it was incorrectly booked for a date that was already over. So, had to rush to the bus station and then fight with many standing in the queue to get a ticket done. What a drama it was. :) Then at night 10 I started to Bangalore and dad left to Trichy.

To sum up, Madras means a lot of emotions to me. The place has seen the best of my emotions and the worst as well. :)

No comments: